Sunday, 19 November 2017

November Meeting

Minutes of the Parents’ Council Meeting of 6 November 2017


Grade
Type of Representative
Name
Present at meeting 6 November 2017
1a
Parent
Evgenia Lynum
x

Deputy
Kyle Depew
x
1b
Parent
Gobind Singh Gill
x

Deputy
Birute Stankuniene

2a
Parent
Thilanka Madugodage


Deputy
Dmitry Ilinskiy

2b
Parent
Derya Ongen
x

Deputy
Birendra Kumar

3a
Parent
Philmar Middelthon
x

Deputy
---

3b
Parent
Thrasyvoulos Gryparis


Deputy
Anastasia Solomonova (solomonova) Hole

4a
Parent
Kate Rushdy
x

Deputy
Tara Tinholt

4b
Parent
Jennifer Fagan


Head of PC
Anne Lise Kielland
x

Deputy
Tessa Howell
x
5
Parent
Mette Reitz
x

Deputy
Ragnhild Krøglid
x
6
Parent
Prashant Kanungo
x

Deputy
Heidi Robertson


Deputy
Frode Olsen

7
Parent
Robert Jones
x

Deputy
Haseung Choi

8
Parent
Andrew Langridge
x

Deputy
Elizabeth Olsen

9
Parent
Anne-Valérie Sickinghe
X (minutes secretary)

Deputy
Mark Williams
x

School Principal
Robert Browne (RB)
Present during pt. 1

1. General update from the Principal
Disco night: The Student Council (SC) would prefer involvement in arranging an end-of-year spring ball for grades 6 to 9 (around 80 students). From now on, Disco Night will be for grades 1 to 5 only.
Warm lunches: Students are happy enough with the quality, but improvement is needed on following points:
  • School staff (especially Miss Chantale) is spending too much time distributing the lunches. The agreement was that skolematen.no would deliver at three delivery points, but so far lunches have been delivered in one single box. More delivery points have now been promised.
  • The packaging contains too much single-use plastic. Students have now been encouraged to bring their own cutlery.
Yearbook: RB advises «if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it», and to be weary of student management unless students are given very specific parameters. Student pages with a collage could be a possibility. Jessica from SC has suggested a yearbook sub-committee. RB is very positive to the proposal of an own yearbook for Grade 10 next year.
Update on the school premises: Recently, RB has given two presentations to committees in Asker Kommune:
  • Utvalg for oppvekst (Committee for Childhood and Adolescence)
  • Formannskapet (Presidency)
In his presentations, he has emphasized AIS’s need for more space. AIS has 8,3 m2 per child in disposable surface, whereas the new Landøya Skole will have 23 m2. Therefore, the students from Risenga, that are suggested to be housed at the premises in Johan Drengsrudsvei while Risenga is being renovated, should be housed at the new Landøya school instead.


RB has proposed 2 different solutions for solving the need for more space following the growth of AIS in 2018-2019 and is still waiting for a reply. An answer was promised at the end of week 44, but had still not been received at the time of the PC meeting.


In his presentations, RB underscored the growing importance of AIS for the local community. The committee members have expressed surprise about how many of AIS’s students live in Asker. RB has denied to answer questions about how many AIS families are Norwegian, since this question is unfair: children of Norwegian parents can have grown up and gone to school abroad, and children born in Norway can have other home languages than Norwegian.


Winter concert: the school will rent Asker Konferansesenter for Wednesday 14th of December. This way, all the students will be on one site for the entire day. The conference center is large enough to house a large audience.


2. Utilization of income from PC-run events
Last year’s funds were allocated to the library by mistake, and will be re-allocated to the SFO.
For this year, Kyle Depew contacted Mr Andrew and received the following requests:
  • A giant bin of equipment for students to use outside during breaks.
  • New equipment for house events, to improve competitions and events.
It was suggested that the PC also ask Miss Anja for equipment requests. Mette Reitz will talk to Miss Anja and give us feedback at our next meeting.
To raise funds, it was proposed that the PC sell cake and coffee and charge an entrance fee during the winter concert. The specific purpose of the donations will be mentioned on Facebook and during all events from now on.


3. School sweatshirts
University.no has confirmed that they have received 30 orders. These will be delivered in week 45/46.


4. Evaluation of this year’s Halloween event
The event was a resounding success, and participants and parents found it very well-organized. 166 tickets were sold before the event. RB was also very happy about the volunteers.
It was proposed that a summary of how the event was organized should be written down and made available for next year’s organizers, e.g. on Google Docs. The absence of such a summary this year had made for a tricky start to the organization of the event.
We know that summaries have been written from previous arrangements, but they prove to be too hard to find on the website. Anne Lise will talk to RB about this.


5. The Winter Concert
Kate Rushdy is in charge, will need to start early. Raffle tickets bought by VIPPS should be registered, and tickets given to buyers straight away.


6. Other events
Philmar Middelthon (grade 3A+B parents) has a list of all the events where pictures will be taken for the yearbook. He also has a list of participants. Expected yearbook profit: NOK 30.000 if 220 yearbooks are sold. The book will be for sale when finished in the penultimate week of the school year. There is an ongoing discussion about preselling the yearbooks or not. This will be taken into consideration when we are closer in time.


7. Hot dog sale and Coffee Morning
This month’s Coffee Morning at Kaffebrenneriet was great, but it will be held in Asker library next time to facilitate conversation. There was initiative to organize this coffee morning twice a month instead of only once.
Kate Rushdy will send an email around ahead of the next hot dog sale.


8. Disco Night / prom / ball was included in 1.
9. was post-poned to our next meeting.
10. was included in 2.



The next PC meeting will be on December 4th at 15.40

Friday, 6 October 2017

September Meeting 2017



Grade
Type of Representative
Name
Present at meeting 25. September 2017
1a
Parent
Evgenia Lynum
x

Deputy
Kyle Depew
x
1b
Parent
Gobind Singh Gill
x

Deputy
Birute Stankuniene

2a
Parent
Thilanka Madugodage
x

Deputy
Dmitry Ilinskiy

2b
Parent
Derya Ongen
x

Deputy
Birendra Kumar
x
3a
Parent
Philmar Middelthon
x

Deputy
---

3b
Parent
Thrasyvoulos Gryparis
x

Deputy
Anastasia Solomonova (solomonova) Hole

4a
Parent
Kate Rushdy
x

Deputy
Tara Tinholt
x
4b
Parent
Jennifer Fagan
x

Deputy
Anne Lise Kielland
x

Deputy
Tessa Howell
x
5
Parent
Mette Reitz
x

Deputy
Ragnhild Krøglid
x
6
Parent
Prashant Kanungo


Deputy
Heidi Robertson
x

Deputy
Frode Olsen

7
Parent
Robert Jones
x

Deputy
Haseung Choi

8
Parent
Anca Langridge
x

Deputy
Elizabeth Olsen
x
9
Parent
Anne-Valérie Sickinghe
X (minutes secretary)

Deputy
Mark Williams
x


Minutes of meeting, 25. September 2017
Information to parents
RB (Robert Browne) urges the class representatives to send a hyperlink to the PC (Parents’ Council) blog at http://aisparents.blogspot.no/p/council-meetings.html after each meeting. Representatives also need to point out that it is this blog, and not the handbook at http://aisparenthandbook.blogspot.no/p/parent-council-minutes.html, that contains minutes from this school year’s meetings.


Yearbook
Much of the infrastructure is in place, and last year’s photographer, Fabrizia Ramirez, will take pictures this year as well. Last year, orders and payments were the most time-consuming task. Different alternatives were discussed for this year. One possibility is to print e.g. 210 copies and sell them at a stand in the reception area for cash or VIPPS. Presales could be held, for instance at the winter concert etc. Leftovers are sold off or donated to the library. It was also suggested that the yearbooks could and should be more for and by students, with a photo collage made out of the students’ own photos, blank pages for signatures and handing out in the classroom. Next year, grade 10 students could (should) make a separate yearbook, as a special celebration of their time at AIS. This initiative will be forwarded to next year’s PC.


School sweatshirts
Last year, the order and payment process for sweatshirts was very time-consuming for the responsible PC member. It was therefore suggested that http://www.university.no/index/main/ should provide sweatshirts as they normally do, by letting the parents order and pay by the website this year. The PC or student council would not have any income, but would also be spared a lot of extra work. It was suggested that a small extra amount per sweater could be charged as a donation towards the PC. This donation should be earmarked for a specific purpose.


The PC events calendar
Halloween: Grade 1b and 6 will organize the event again. Last year was a bit stressful, with only 1 hour for younger, then older students, and no time in between to re-set. This year, there should be more time, and 30 min. in between to re-set. A PC representative should ask the student council about their desires. Very few students from grade 9 attended last year, so maybe alternative events should be considered. This is up to the Halloween committee (coordinated by the 1B and 6 grade reps) to figure out.


Hot Dog sale and coffee morning
The hot dog sale should get up and running after the autumn holidays, with a hot dog sale at the end of the month. Last years’ template worked well, and will be used again. Volunteers are needed.
Dads should be encouraged to attend coffee mornings (monthly, at Kaffebrenneriet). These mornings are a great way to socialize for newly arrived parents.


Utilization of income from PC-run events
The parent council should be able to decide how the hard-earned money should be spent. PC leader will approach the administration and follow up on this matter. The parent council will work on two different wish lists, one from the students and one from the school. This matter will be on the agenda for our next meeting.


Warm lunches at AIS
The PC looked into a delivery service that would be able to provide pre-packed warm lunches in each class: http://skolematen.no/ The business owners have ensured the parent council that it could cater halal/kosher/allergy respecting meals. Last year, an AIS parent provided vegetarian meals for students in grade 5 and up. The options will be discussed with RB first, before parents’ interest will be gauged.


The next PC meeting will be on Monday, November 6th, at 15:40 hrs.